Commitment to Quality
QUALITY IS OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY AND WE WORK TO PROVIDE IT IN EVERYTHING WE DO.
Organic Certification is the Cornerstone of our Commitment to Quality. Each year our farm, mill, and warehouses are inspected and certified by Oregon Tilth Certified Organic (OTCO). OTCO is recognized as one of the most rigorous organic certifying bodies in the country Oregon Tilth certifies us as processors and handlers.
“Organic” refers not only to the medicinal herbs themselves, but also to how they are produced and processed. Organic agricultural production is based on a system of farming that mimics natural ecosystems and maintains and replenishes the fertility and nutrients of the soil.
Organic Certification means:
Our products have been grown and handled according to strict National Organic Program (NOP)/USDA standards that include inspecting farm fields, and processing facilities.
- We keep detailed records for traceability.
- We use only OTCO approved pest control methods and do not promote or employ irradiation or genetic modification.
- We work closely with OTCO to ensure compliance.
- Our facilities are inspected by the FDA, USDA, the Oregon Department of Agriculture, and Oregon Tilth Certified Organic as a food processing facility.
- We work closely with American Herbal Pharmacopoeia and have received, and will continue to receive, certificates of authenticity for the herbs we grow.
WHY CERTIFIED ORGANIC (OG)? We are certified so that you can depend on our standards of quality. Certification requires that only approved methods and materials are used in growing and processing. The USDA/NOP guidelines that we follow assure you the highest quality as a baseline.
WHAT ARE OUR WILDCRAFTING STANDARDS?(WI)We respect our wildcrafters and the heritage they bring to our industry. We strive to preserve the legacy of collection practices for gathering plants in wild ecosystems. We only use wildcrafters who adhere to our policies. Here is a list of the criteria we require of our harvesters:
- Location and Ecological niche: We seek areas that are free of contamination from roadways, housing, poor water and air quality. We require a description of area, slope, direction, and proximity to streambeds.
- Percentage of Population Harvested: We seek to protect pristine stands of herbs from being over harvested by determining what percentage of species was harvested and when the area was last harvested, to help allow stands to regenerate for future gathering.
- Handling Methods: We seek skillful selection with expert knowledge of species. Careful separating, garbling, drying, and cleaning of product ensures herb purity and vitality.
- Consistent and Accurate Record Keeping: Harvest protocol sheets are required which include time of day, temperature, weather conditions and a description of the area; public or private land, logging condition, distance from the road, power lines and any known history of pesticides or fertilizers for each lot we receive.
- Personal Guarantee by the Wildcrafter: Each independent wildcrafter must demonstrate an adherence to the highest standards and must personally guarantee that each herb has been ecologically harvested. They must show regard for the integrity of the plant population and environment, and obtain any verification of species required from a botanist that may be necessary.
WHAT ABOUT GROWN WITHOUT CHEMICALS (GWC)?Grown without chemicals means that our herbs are sourced from a known and trusted supplier who cultivates the herb without pesticides or herbicides or any chemicals. We require these herbs to be grown with the same standards as certified organic. Often times the supplier elects not to become certified organic because of expenses associated with the process. We have thoroughly researched these sources and can offer a small selection of these products from trusted sources when we cannot find sufficient certified organic or wild crafted sources. Less than two percent of our products are GWC.